Sunday, July 28, 2024

Elm Grove at Dusk

 Working on panel in oils is something I have not done in quite awhile. I remember November 2022 was my last acrylic painting, so, two years! Lots of watercolour and gouache in the meantime though. I was trying to improve my drawing, speed and accuracy at urban sketchers, and composition by working out formula thumbnails in gouache, as preparation for something larger. It helps to make colour notes as I work with my palette, now in gouach, later in oil.  My confidence is eroding somehow, but I want to pursue at least two showings this year with West Toronto Artists. 

Walking with Joe recently after a rain a large puddle reflected the leaves and sky overhead, and the reich dark colours of a humid mid summer evening were awe inspiring. The sketch developed a “cruciform” composition (Ian Roberts, Mastering Composition) with warm highlights outlining the water. I’m experiencing difficulty translating my palette from gouach to oils, because my colour selections are limited in different hues. Cobalt in gouache, is Ultramarine Blue in oils. I will add to my oils another blue or two, perhaps.

Procreate mockups allow for no limits in colour choice, and help me to concentrate on large shapes, not distracting details.

After mixing in as much Liquin as possible while keeping a cream consistency, after four hours the oils are not even tacky yet! I may try this in acrylic also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment