Monday, February 12, 2024

Painted Alley Cropped

 

Photo reference and casein underpainting


Same alley different composition, and another day. Another cropped edit of the same photo shows the person in the distance more plainly. This colour scheme veered away from the warm sunlit tones to a cooler yellow complimented by cold blue darks. I don’t like when my paintings become fussy. Maybe that’s why I’m working so small. If it all gets boiled down to abstract essentials like the distribution of value and temperature, the whole thing works together more. I’m attempting to indicate direction of brush stroke also, with an intention to work larger. When I photograph it and look at it later, seeing it differently, I hope to sort out what this is- abstraction, colourfield, illustration (oh,no! Not that!) romantic nostalgia, atmospheric realism, or just clumsy paint handling:)


No comments:

Post a Comment