Friday, February 2, 2024

Painted Alley

Cropping, Notan, Focal Point and Palette


 Recently I watched a short video by Mitchell Albala about creating Notan studies for landscapes, and it got me thinking, could that help me simplify overwhelming detail in sketching? Could it jumpstart a better composition for a painting? 

The iPad is a great tool for cropping a photo and layering a Notan in was doable. 

When drawing from the photo I was defining shapes of shadow and light- a better approach than defining edges as lines- (no wonder that gets overwhelming) and shapes are relatively easier to draw. Less tension around placement and proportion.

Gouache is a way to make colour decisions and make 5x7 inch thumbnail paintings. I see this painting much larger in oil or acrylic. Scale would make the end of the alley visible- as it is a focal point, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment